The Mission City and District Board of Trade was created in 1893 by Harry Brown French who was elected its first president. The Board immediately took out advertisements in all newspapers within a 300 mile radius, offering a package of free land, free water, free power, property tax exemptions and, most extraordinary of all, the Board also offered to construct factories, mills or other commercial buildings for potential industrialists at no cost whatsoever!
Today's Mission Regional Chamber of Commerce is housed in an attractive cedar shake building just east of Mission on Highway 7. The Chamber continues to serve the businesses of Mission and areas east to the Harrison River and north to the end of the valley of the Stave. It is still a strong advocate for economic development in the region and promotes area tourism to visitors and locals alike.
The MRCC is governed by a Board of fifteen (15) Directors which include eight (8) elected members, four (4) Executive members, and three (3) appointedmembers from the Mission Downtown Business Association, Community Futures North Fraser and the District of Mission.